Friday 17 January 2014

Tiny Tweaks - Birchbox January 2014

This month not only are Birchbox celebrating the new year, they are also celebrating their 1 year anniversary! They've also made a slight change to their packaging and the products no longer come in those little draw string bags. I personally never saw the point of them and had no use for them but it was the statement look of Birchbox so I was a little surprised when I first opened the box. 



Let's see what was inside...

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer - A pre-shampoo hair treatment I've always been curious to try so I was pleased to receive this 20ml sample. A full sized tube would cost £27.50

Benefit The POREfessional - A cult product in the beauty world, I love it. I've had a few samples of this through other beauty boxes/magazine freebies but I also have a full sized bottle in my stash so I was a little less excited about this one. It's super handy for travel though and I will definitely get use out of it. If you wan't to know more about this product Kate has done a full review of it here. A full sized tube costs £24.50

Laura Mercier Body Butter - Now don't get me wrong, this is a lovely product and I'm more than happy to receive Laura Mercier products in beauty boxes, but this was just a disappointment. I received this exact product in November's Birchbox which was only two months ago. I feel like Birchbox could have at least made it a different scent. The point of these boxes is to try new things, not to receive the same samples again and again. If you read my post on November's box you'll know how happy I was about receiving it then, it is a really luxurious product and I'll definitely use it, I just didn't feel any excitement by it this time around. A full sized tub would cost £26

Premae Anatomy Nutrients Body Oil - I've never head of this brand before but I've been really into body oils lately so I'm happy to test a new one out. A full sized bottle would cost £9.50

Delarom Acquaconfort Mask - Another brand I'm not familiar with, this face mask claims to nourish and hydrate the skin while restoring suppleness and vitality. I haven't tested this on my face, but I have tried it on the back of my hand and it smells really nice (like pomegranates). A full sized tube costs £24

And finally the lifestyle extra included this month as a Birchbox own branded eye mask. This is one of those gel-filled masks designed to cool the eye area and decrease puffiness. Now I hate sounding so negative but again, Birchbox have repeated the exact same product! This mask was also included in the August Birchbox. Again, a little disappointing. This mask retails for £10.



Now I want to make something clear, I actually think this box included some really good products and I would honestly use every single product included. It just annoys me to see products repeated. This month is Birchbox's one year anniversary, that means there has only been 12 other boxes and they're already repeating so many? That doesn't fill me with much optimism for future boxes. Another thing I'm not pleased about is the fact that there isn't even one make-up item here, I really think they should make the effort to include at least one make-up item in each box....

Birchbox, I love you but this box just didn't do it for me... 
What did you think of this month's box? Let me know in the comments below...

Linda x


8 comments :

  1. How bizarre that they would repeat items? Otherwise looks like a good box!

    Helen X

    www.allthebeautifulthings.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a good box, but there's just no need to repeat products! x

      Delete
  2. i stopped getting sub boxes i never really get the good ones and find they can be a waste sometimes, sometimes you get a good one then for 5 mnths its rubbish lol and like you say repeat products x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely agree that these boxes are very hit and miss, it's hard to please everyone at the same time. Like I'm sure someone who is relatively new to Birchbox would love to receive this months box, but it just annoyed me seeing so many products repeated x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The products are lovely, I was only disappointed because most of it I'd had before :( x

      Delete
  4. This looks like a good box. I unsubbed from all my boxes because they just kept getting samey and I wasn't excited about them anymore, but might have to get this one!
    Anoushka
    Anoushkaloves.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's how I'm starting to feel now :( it's a great box of products, it just didn't excite me xx

      Delete